Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Oscar Buzz

Which upcoming movies are getting that Oscar buzz??

As the year comes to an end and the holidays start another amazing thing happens.... the best movies of the year hit theaters in hopes of being nominated for best picture at the Oscars. This year after the Toronto Film Festival there was a lot of buzz around a couple of films and I am making my predictions on which ones you will be seeing nominated on Oscar night.  

First up "The Martian" staring Matt Damon as an astronaut who while on a mission on Mars gets left behind by his crew and is forced to survive on the planet until help can arrive. This movie has been in theaters since early October and still almost a month after debuting is still number one at the box office which shows you how good this movie is. I got to see it on opening weekend and was very pleased with the film. Matt is alone for a lot of his role in the movie and does an amazing job and making you laugh and cry with him. The movie also left me thinking about how crazy and awesome science is and was really inspiring. Because of the way people are reacting to this film I could see it possibly being nominated for best film at the Oscars, but sadly I thought the same thing about "Gone Girl" (which came out at the same time as this film last year) and it was snubbed. I think sometimes early October releases are just to early for Oscar. I still think everyone should see this movie and should do so in 3D. I am sure Matt will be recognized for his work in the film though. 








Trumbo is based on the true story of 1940's screenwriter Dalton Trumbo who was blacklisted for his political beliefs and then shows everyone how crazy the blacklist is while also winning two Academy Awards. When I first heard about this movie I read an article that said the academy loves movies about Hollywood ("Argo", "The Artist", etc) and I believe it. Personally I think everyone also loves Bryan Cranston which will make people want to come out and see this movie. The movie doesn't come out until November 6th but I am sure we will hear more about it when it does. 
















I recently brought up the movie "The Danish Girl" and how I think it could take home the award for best picture along with best actor for the performance by Eddie Redmayne and I still agree with this. "The Danish Girl" is based of a true story of Lili Elbe who was the first male to ever have female sex reassignment surgery. Redmayne plays the role of Einar Wegener who after posing as a female for his painter wife decides he would like to live his life as a female instead of a male. The movie looks like such a powerful story I am sure it will be recognized by many as a front runner at the Oscars. This film comes out November 27th which is the day after Thanksgiving so after things settle down for black Friday head over to the movies and catch this film. 












As with the last two films this last one called "The Big Short" is also based off of a true story. This movie also has a ton of star power behind it with Christian Bale, Brad Pitt, and Ryan Gosling staring in it and to top it off the guy who wrote the books that inspired "Moneyball" and "The Blind Side" wrote the book that inspired this film (and we know what happened to those films.... they were nominated for best picture). This movie focuses on the financial crisis that hit the US really hard during the years of 2007 to 2010. I think since this movie is about something so fresh in our minds many will be able to watch it and relate to the premise of the film. This film will come out in theaters on December 11. 






No comments:

Post a Comment