Saturday, August 6, 2016

2016 Rio Olympics

Top 5 Events I'm Most Excited about at the 2016 Rio Olympics



Last night marked the official opening of the 2016 Rio summer Olympic games and I am so excited! Who doesn't love the olympics? Since I am at the end of my pregnancy and it is still a billion degrees outside I am even more excited than usual to watch all the sports coverage over the next coming weeks. Today alone I watched rugby, water polo and a crazy amount of cycling and those are three sports I never watch. So what 5 sports am I most excited to watch?? Let me tell you.....


5. Golf 
Now normally I do not care to much for golf (especially watching it on TV) but this is the first time that golf has been an Olympic sport since way back in 1904!! Now that it is back on the Olympic stage I am excited for the golfers to be able to represent their countries and compete for a medal in a sport that they love. 



4. Beach Volleyball 
I have always enjoyed beach volleyball during the Olympics and I think it was because I have a soft spot for bff's Kerri Walsh-Jennings and Misty May-Treanor who have always seemed to dominate the sport. After the last Olympics Misty said that would be her last which is why this year it is a little bittersweet, because Kerri will competing with new teammate April Ross. Hopefully they can still do amazing and walk away with the gold. 

3. Tennis 
I am a fan of tennis throughout the year and watch most grand slam finals so of course I am excited to watch tennis in the Olympic setting a well. If watching tennis in the last year or two has shown me anything it is that Serena Williams is at the top of her game. Not only is she ranked number 1 in the world, but this also isn't her first Olympics but her fourth so she is a seasoned veteran as well. She already has 4 medals with only one of those being an individual medal. I think she has a good chance of walking away with the gold this time around. 

2. Women's Gymnastics 
Gymnastics is always a major highlight at the Olympics as it should be with the amazing things that those men and women do. This year I am so excited to see the women compete because of how high the caliber of talent is on the team. You have veterans like Ally Raisman and Gabby Douglas who competed during the last Olympics and walked away with gold as a team and Gabby as an individual. Then, you have the younger girls Madison Kocian and newly 16 year old Laurie Hernandez who will help the team out with their amazing skills. The one girl who everyone is most excited about is the one who has dominated the gymnastics field since the last Olympics and that is Simone Biles (I am sure you have heard her name being said a lot over the past couple months) and everyone is saying she has the best shot of walking away with the gold. I can't wait to see what she and the other four can do. 

1. Swimming 
About a year ago I remember watching the news and they said Michael Phelps was training again and was going to start competing again and once I heard that I was so excited and ready for another Michael Phelps filled Olympics. There is something about watching someone who probably will always be known as the greatest of all time that is so exciting. Every swim he does just adds to his amazing medal count (18 gold 22 all together) and is like watching a little piece of history. On top of being able to watch Phelps you have all the fun eye candy of guys like Ryan Lochte (even with his new white hair) and Nathan Adrian and sweet ladies like Missy Franklin and Katie Ledecky that you can't help but watch and root for. I am hoping the swim team can walk away with a lot of medals. 

Regardless of the sport it is always fun to watch the games and root on team USA for a couple weeks. I hope we do amazing and walk away on the top of the medal count, GO TEAM USA!! 

If you want to watch any of the olympic coverage here is your link to all things olympics http://www.nbcolympics.com/full-schedule 

No comments:

Post a Comment