Monday, February 25, 2013

The 2013 Oscars

My top ten moments from the 2013 Oscars 


Yesterday I posted a blog predicting how I thought last night would go and I was pretty dead on. As far as awards went all of my predictions were right except for the category of best director which did not go to Steven Spielberg  but to Ang Lee for his directing of "Life of Pi". Seth MacFarlane was great like I thoughthe would be but never went over the top with his jabs. And my fashion predictions were pretty on as well. Here are my top ten moments of the night. 

10. Seth MacFarlane and Kristen Chenoweth singing "Here's to the Losers". Instead of just saying congrats and goodnight Seth decided to sing his way off the air with the amazing Kristen Chenoweth and they sang out to all the losers. It was a lighthearted and funny way to end the show for sure. Bless all the losers. 





9. The Jaws theme stepping in for the light classical music that usually plays people off that take a little to long with their speech. Some thought it was mean but I thought it was kind of hilarious, I mean anyone who hears that song move a little quicker with whatever they are doing for sure. One person early in the show got the Jaws theme played on them and it got louder and louder and faster and faster and he kept talking so they eventually just turned his mic off but after that people either kept it short and sweet or talked super fast during their speeches (talking to you Ben Affleck!) so I guess you could say the Jaws theme worked and did its job. 









8. The fashion of the night. There were so many great looks last night. These three women stood out to just about everyone who was watching. Kerry Washington wore a beautiful coral/red colored dress that was beaded on the top. I loved how she had a pop of color because there wasn't a lot of bright colors on the red carpet last night. Naomi Watts wore a metallic silver number that was unique and looked great on her. Resse Witherspoon looked stunning in a blue gown that her teenage daughter actually helped pick out. None of these looks were my favorite of the night though, my favorite dress and all around look of the night was a favorite of many....



Jennifer Lawrence was perfect last night in her white Dior Haute Coutoure gown. Her hair was pulled back perfectly, make-up was great, and to cap it off she had a "back" necklace that was so simple but worked so great with the dress. I think for someone who has looked so amazing this award season she ended it so amazingly all around. 















7. Anne Hathaway walking away with an Oscar for supporting actress for her role in "Les Miserables". She had a great performance and really deserved to win the award. I think many people have known she is a great actress but this movie really showed us. Her speech was great, humble, and very gracious. You could feel how much she had dreamed of this moment and how happy she was to finally get it. I am sure this will not be her last time being at the Oscars. 











6. Barbara Streisand making a rare performance singing "The Way We Were" for the memoriam section of the show. It was amazing seeing this singing legend show us all that she still has it. Her voice is still amazing that is for sure and she looked great. 
















5. Adele! She sang, she won, she cried. Adele was nominated for best original song for "Skyfall" from the James Bond movie also titled "Skyfall". She performed that song an did a wonderful job with the performance. Then came time for the award and she won and immediately she lost it. You couldn't help but smile for her while you watched her try to keep it together while she accepted the award. Seeing her just look at her Oscar like "Oh my god I can not believe I won this" was awesome. Got to love Adele. 

4. Seth MacFarlane and the way he opened the show was great. He started off with a few light jabs at some stars like bringing up how the academy snubbed Ben Affleck for best director and Daniel Day-Lewis's method acting and then a screen dropped down and there was William Shatner as Captain Kirk from "Star Trek". He goes on to inform us that he is from the future and that Seth bombs the show by doing things like singing a song called "We Saw Your Boobs" about the many actresses who show their boobs in their movies. To make up for this he sings a couple tunes while celebs like Channing Tatum, Charlize Theron, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Daniel Radcliffe  danced and backed him up. It was pretty great to watch and I think he did a great job though many people (including Captain Kirk himself) are saying Amy Poehler and Tina Fey would have done better since they did so great hosting the Golden Globes. Seth did say during the opening they will host next year, we shall see if that happens. 


3. The theme of musicals and the performances from the musicals. This was the first year the Oscars decided to go with a theme and it was movie musicals. John Travolta came out and introduced three musicals that have won awards or were nominated and then we got performances from those movies. We started off with "Chicago" and Catherine Zeta-Jones came out and sang "All That Jazz". I think she did great though some say she was not really singing. Regardless that movie came out I think 10 years ago and she looked fantastic last night! Then came out Jennifer Hudson and she sang "And I am Telling You" from Dreamgirls and holy crap she sang the hell out of that song. I mean not going to lie I almost shed a tear. When she was done that whole place was on their feet and I thought well the next act better bring it. The next thing you know one by one the whole cast of "Les Miserables" came out singing. By the end of that you have a stage full of people singing and they drop the french flags, it was beautiful and once again the crowd was on their feet. They were all great performances and a great tribute to those musicals. 

2. "Argo" taking home best picture. It capped off an amazing award season and showing us that Ben Affleck was so snubbed by not being nominated for best director. Seeing him thank his wife and talk about how far he has come since he won for "Good Will Hunting" so many years ago made me smile and realize how far he really has come. I think he is going to continue making amazing movies. 


1. Jennifer Lawrence winning and just being herself was a great highlight of the show. She came out on the red carpet looking amazing (as I said earlier) being by far the best dressed. Then she won best actress for her work in "Silver Linings Playbook" and her face was priceless. She was shocked and then while walking up to stage she fell on her dress and tripped on the stairs. But of coarse she picked herself up and went to get her award. You could tell she could not believe she had just won, her shocked face was great. I love how real and genuine she is, it is just amazing. I think she is going to continue surprise us and herself and do more amazing work. 

Such a great award season. I can not wait for the year ahead and all of the movies yet to come out. I am sure we will get many more great films before the next award season. 

4 comments:

  1. You did great with your predictions! I loved Seth hosting, I really think he's getting crucified for no reason. I enjoyed watching them this year. I like that I had interest in it thanks to you and your awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diane. I think he did better than people are giving him credit for as well. No one is ever happy though with a host, unless you are Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. Tina has already said she will not be hosting the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete